Tuesday, June 15, 2021

Fashion Subversives

 


I stopped at the Phoenix Art Museum again last weekend because I had read that they opened a second show to complement the special engagement of the Rudi Gernreich's show that I featured last week.

This exhibit was titled Fashion Subversives and is meant to celebrate the designs that broke some rules and edged fashion in different directions.

My favorite piece in this exhibit was this simple dress.  It was displayed in relation to Trompe-l 'Oeill designs of the 1950's originally created by Hermes.  These were designs that looked to the eye like there were pockets, bows and buttons on the garment when actually those things were printed into the fabric.  

I'd wear this one!





This is a more recent creation by Junya Watanabe from the fall of 2000.  I just liked the look of it but I bet it would be uncomfortable to wear.


















The group above was a tribute to Coco Chanel's "little black dress".  Designers everywhere have followed that lead and created their own versions of this classic.

To the left are two more fun dresses.  The lacy one is by Coco Chanel and the one in the back by Geoffrey Beene.














I'll leave this exhibit with this eye-catching dress by Alexander McQueen.  This one made me think my eyes were getting blurry.  The stripes in the fabric makes you feel like they are moving.  


15 comments:

biebkriebels said...

I love fashion exhibitions!

Andy said...

I don't think I will ever understand women's fashion... that is just my opinion.

Susie of Arabia said...

Fantastic exhibit! So much to love. The simple dress with the details printed on is genius and whimsical. The McQueen dress I think is very flattering to the female form.

Travel said...

Unless the red one crushes easily, you'd have to stand up, or sit on a barstool.

William Kendall said...

That last one is a show stopper.

Steve Reed said...

It's interesting that so many art museums have opened their doors to fashion exhibits. I think they're money-makers and are popular with the public, but some purists would say they're not truly "art." Personally, I like them. I think that trompe l'oeil dress is pretty cool.

Stefan Jansson said...

Some great dresses here.

Thérèse said...

Wow! I like all of them but the "trompe l'oeil" is the smartest!

RedPat said...

I like that 1stone and the Chanel dress the best, Sharon!

Bill said...

Some interesting and pretty dresses there.

Billy Blue Eyes said...

I bet you love going around the V&A when you come here

Gemel said...

I think the last one is the best.

PerthDailyPhoto said...

What a fab exhibition Sharon.. I wonder if all women have some version of the little black dress, I have 😉 I really like them all here but the last is definitely a show stopper 💜

Amy said...

I like them all especially the coco chanel one.

Sami said...

Great exhibition. I would wear that fake bow dress too, as well as the lacy Coco Chanel dress.
I no longer wear all black if I can avoid because as we age I find black makes us look older, and anyway I like colour :)