Tuesday, April 4, 2023

The Telephone & The Cartoonist

 


When I was at The Hermosa Inn on Saturday, I spotted this vintage telephone and wanted to get a photo of it. That's when I also noticed the framed comic above the phone.  It was drawn by Bill Keane the cartoonist who created the comic strip called  "The Family Circus".  That's one of his characters peeking from behind the door.

Bill Keane passed away at his home in Paradise Valley back in 2011.  Since he lived near the resort, I'm guessing he used to dine there quite regularly.

He also used to frequent The Sugar Bowl, an ice cream shop in Scottsdale quite frequently.  He used to feature that establishment in his comics from time to time.  

For those who don't know about this comic strip, click this link.  You will see examples of some of this work.

9 comments:

roentare said...

this is a great set up for still life photography

Andy said...

Is the Hermosa Inn? Made me smile. 【ツ】

Travel said...

One of my favorites when I was growing up, and there were real newspapers, printed on paper, delivered to the box along the road.

RedPat said...

I read it all the time when I was growing up. They still run it here in the Saturday paper.

Bill said...

I use to read it every Sunday in the peper growing up. A blast from the past. :)

William Kendall said...

Both are a throwback.

Catalyst said...

I also have a framed Bil Keane. You've given me an idea for my blog.

Amy said...

I like seeing old phones, I've been after a vintage one here for ages but they always sell for alot of money.

Steve Reed said...

I always liked "The Family Circus," though I gotta admit I thought that was Dennis the Menace at first!