Tuesday, April 6, 2021

Weekend Adventure

 


I ventured out of Phoenix this last weekend for the first time in over a year.  A friend and I drove down to Tucson to see how we felt about traveling while this pandemic still continues.  Both of us have been vaccinated so we felt relatively safe from the virus but we were still extremely careful in everything we did.  We stayed at my favorite place to stay in Tucson, the historic Arizona Inn.  (I wrote about this place around 3 years ago.). The resort was extra cautious to the point that the front doors were locked and only guests are allowed to enter.  The restaurant was closed but the kitchen was open so guests could order food to be sent to rooms.  Guests were required to wear masks inside the main resort and around other guests.  And, as near as I could tell, everyone was complying.   They had 50 rooms filled for the weekend so there were several other adventurous souls there.  As you can see from these photos, the grounds were beautiful and the flowers spectacular.

However, there was one slight flaw that made the weekend less than perfect and it was something completely out of our control.  The weather.  It just so happened that we were hit with a heat wave with temperatures in the high 90's.  Since just last week, the temperatures were in the 60's, it was quite a shock to our systems.  We desert dwellers are used to high temperatures but only when the heat builds up slowly  to those hot months of summer.  During those months we tend to refrain from outdoor activities.  Here we were on a weekend trip that we planned to pack with lots of outdoor activities.  We stopped at the Tucson Botanical Garden where we found this cute Volkswagen turned into a planter.  However, we stayed less than an hour because of the heat.

We did manage to have dinner at the historic El Charro Cafe where I could indulge in my favorite Mexican Food and the wonderful carne seca that is their specialty.  I've mentioned this place many times in the past and posted about it here.  It wouldn't be a trip to Tucson without some of that delicious carne seca.  

So the weekend trip wasn't perfect but only because of the weather.  The resort made us feel safe and welcome and the restaurants were all following health guidelines.  And most of all, I enjoyed getting out of town and seeing new things.  


17 comments:

Gemel said...

Those flowers are certainly spectacular! WOW.

biebkriebels said...

It is always the weather that makes a different . Here winter has returned with hail and snow showers! We live in a weard world with Pandemic and strange weathers. I haven't been out of my village for a year either, so strange to realize how our world has changed so much.....

Travel said...

Looks delightful. I have a week off scheduled, and can't get myself to commit to going anyplace. I have use it or lose it paid time off, I want to use. My 2nd shot is Saturday morning :)

Людмила Кишкунова said...

О, какие красивые цветы! Я люблю цветы!Великолепно! Позитивно!

Catarina said...

I can tell it was still worth it. Going out of town, stay at an inn, eating out... That's wonderful!!

Andy said...

The wife and I also are taking road trips. We really do like to explore. Don't have the extreme heat like you. Enjoy...

RedPat said...

Just for your own mental health it is good to go somewhere different! Too bad about the weather, Sharon!

PerthDailyPhoto said...

Sounds exactly as it happened here at the beginning of summer Sharon, right from day one it was HOT! No getting used to it. So good to hear that you were able to have a bit of a trip. I think as long as people are careful and sensible it should start to get easier. The gardens here are beautifully colourful, summer colours 🌺 and a gourmet treat also, perfect!

Revrunner said...

I've been thinking about it, but still haven't committed to actually doing something about it.

Karl said...

Beautiful flower arrangements and the Volkswagen is very nice !

Bill said...

The flowers are very pretty and the VW is awesome, I love it.

William Kendall said...

The VW is a show stopper.

Catalyst said...

I am starting to venture out more too and it feels good.

Thérèse said...

It must have felt like a huge present! What a treat! I take good notice of the place.

Steve Reed said...

I'm so glad you got to travel and experience a change of scenery. I'm jealous! The Arizona Inn looks beautiful. I love all the flowers.

Amy said...

Looks like a neat place to visit. I'm glad businesses are able to deliver their food to customers, helps them stay afloat.

Susie of Arabia said...

Ah The Arizona Inn! One of my favorite places in Tucson too. So glad you could venture out for a little adventure.