Wednesday, November 18, 2020

Up Close or Far Away

 

I have posted photos from the SkySong campus many times before but I was reminded of this place last Saturday when I took my walk at the Desert Botanical Garden.

When I climbed the trail to the high point at the garden, I noticed that I could see the top of those sails from far away.  I hadn't realized that I could see that white framework from so far away.

So I took a drive over to the campus to see how much it has grown.  There is now a hotel there and these new apartments.  

As the new buildings go up, it gets harder to get a clear view of that white shade structure.  I did a little research to learn more about that distinctive feature.  I found out that it is 50,000 square feet and covers the intersection of two roads in the heart of this complex.  It's made of PTFE glass fabric.  So what is that? I found out it is Polytetrafluoroethylene.  Apparently that is a synthetic fabric broadly related to teflon.  

By the way, SkySong is an innovative facility of Arizona State University.  ASU partners with  businesses creating a variety of innovative products.  Tenants here are provided direct access to relevant research and educational opportunities.  It's growing like crazy so it must be a successful partnership.  

 

13 comments:

Gemel said...

The up close shots appeal to me.

Andy said...

Behold... I am dazzled by what I am look at. I have never seen anything like this before.

Steve Reed said...

Does the shade have a practical purpose, or is it more sculptural?

Travel said...

The inverted cones, look like they would catch rain, how fun.

Jackie McGuinness said...

What a gorgeous name, Skysong!

RedPat said...

What a wonderful structure, Sharon!

Bill said...

What anamazing structure. It looks futuristic.

Revrunner said...

Reminds me of Potsdamer Platz in Berlin.

William Kendall said...

That tent structure reminds me of one at one of our campuses.

Catalyst said...

Hmmmmm.

Sami said...

A very interesting structure.

Susie of Arabia said...

These are very similar to the tentlike structures around Jeddah that provide shade and refuge from the heat. There is a part of the airport for hajjis (religious pilgrims) that is pretty much entirely made with these tent shades. Malls here also have them, as well as parking lots. Very practical for sunny Arizona too!

Allison said...

What a cool structure! Phoenix has changed so much.