Friday, May 29, 2020

The Chaste Tree


I first came across one of these trees about four years ago only the one I found then was much smaller than this one.  You can see it here.  Last weekend, I found this one not far from where I live.  This one is obviously much older than the first one I spotted.


I just love those gorgeous lavender blooms.  The Chaste Tree (sometimes called Monk's Pepper) is native to the Mediterranean regions of Europe.  The berries from these trees are still used today as an herbal solution to some female problems like PMS or hormonal imbalances.  Who knew?

15 comments:

biebkriebels said...

It is a special tree I have never heard of. Haven't seen one either, I like the purple colour.

Andy said...

Lovely colours. Eye candy at it's best.

RedPat said...

It has lovely blooms, Sharon!

PerthDailyPhoto said...

Oh I remember this tree Sharon, it gets better and better with age. More of those gorgeous purple blooms, would love one in my garden 💜

Roseann said...

I learned this is a Buddlia or butterfly bush. Up north they don't grow as large as they do here. I'm amazed the size they grow to here in AZ.

Catarina said...

It stands out.

Travel said...

Not just cactus in the dessert

Steve Reed said...

I've never heard of a "chaste tree." Is it called that because it can set seed by itself, without pollination from another plant? That would also explain the "monk" reference. Or is it because it's used to treat "female problems," as you put it? Strange. I'll have to look it up.

Steve Reed said...

OK, I looked it up! Apparently it was thought to be an anaphrodisiac, hence the name "chaste tree" -- but it can also self-pollinate!

Bill said...

Very pretty, the blossoms are gorgeous.

Revrunner said...

I think there are several of those trees growing here, although I have yet to see them in bloom like this.

William Kendall said...

The blooms are quite pretty.

Gemel said...

They are beautiful trees, I have one in my garden, I harvest the seeds each year and keep them for use when making my herbal teas.
Great photos.

Kay said...

I think I may have seen these trees before, perhaps in California. They are very striking.

Karl said...

A gorgeous tree.