Sunday, December 3, 2023

Transformation Mask

 


I was at the Heard Museum again on Saturday morning for another member's breakfast and talk.  I arrived early so I wandered around the gallery where the exhibit of art from the McMichael Canadian Art Collection is still on display. (I posted about this exhibit here.)

This "Transformation Mask" caught my eye.  It's described like this:  Art Thompson's mask recalls a style of mask used in a ceremony where one being could suddenly transform into another.  Here the whale on the outside of the mask opens to reveal Pook-Ubs, the spirit of a drowned sailer who has been eaten by the whale.  It's based on a story from the Coast Salish culture.  

What a fascinating creation.  

7 comments:

roentare said...

the transformation mask looks like Japanese ghost mask.

Travel said...

Great talent to make some of these.

RedPat said...

That is wonderful, Sharon.

Bill said...

Amazing and very beautiful.

Catarina said...

Great work.
I have visited the McMichael Canadian Art Collection a few times. Just about 30 km from my area.

Steve Reed said...

Interesting!

William Kendall said...

I've been to the McMichael the odd time, but it's been years. Beautiful works.