Tuesday, November 9, 2021

A Closer Look


 I'm taking a closer look at the mural I featured yesterday.  The city put up a display case near the mural telling about how the mural was created and about the artist.  I loved this sign with photos from its original location in the now demolished terminal 2.  When I first moved to Arizona, this was the primary airport terminal.  It would be years before construction started on terminal 3 and even more years before terminal 4 was added.  I loved seeing these old photos.  They remind me of trips taken so many years ago.

I decided to zoom in on certain areas of the murals to bring out the details.  It really is a beautiful piece of art. 


This mural also has the distinction of being the first piece of public art commissioned by the City of Phoenix.  The city's collection of art has grown significantly since then and that is certainly a good thing.

7 comments:

Janey and Co. said...

What a shame that we all seem to be in a rush when going through our airports, and like a Phoenix, so many have exquisite art!

Travel said...

When we lived there in the mid 1960's there was a walk out observation deck on the roof of the terminal. I can remember when the terminal in Orlando, was in an old air force hanger.

William Kendall said...

Our airport terminal got a big overhaul some years back.

RedPat said...

It really is a wonderful mural. I like seeing those old shots, Sharon!

Bill said...

I like those old shots too. The mural is a beautiful piece of art.

Gemel said...

Very impressive artwork.

Steve Reed said...

OK -- maybe it's NOT pizza. :)