Friday, January 10, 2020

No More Hard Rock in Phoenix


The Hard Rock Cafe in Phoenix is going to be closing its doors at the end of February.  I hardly ever go there so I probably won't miss it.  In fact, I haven't been there since January of 2016 when I took this photo.  I wonder what will happen to Roy Orbison's motorcycle.


But, I have to admit that it seems like the end of an era with it closing.  There was a time some 25 years ago that I collected pins from all the Hard Rock Cafes I'd visited.  I gave those pins away several years ago.  However, I still have my leather Hard Rock Cafe jacket from London.  I rarely wear it so I'll probably be giving that away pretty soon too.

The story I read about the closing said the decision was made because the lease on the building was expiring.  I bet there is more to the story.

13 comments:

biebkriebels said...

That is fun you have a leather jacket of the Hard Rock cafe. I bet you can earn some money with it...:)

Janey and Co. said...

Not many things last forever. I too visited many of their restaurants across the country. A special memory is visiting a friend who lived in a condo downtown Chicago. Our girls were young and we hired a carriage by the lake to take us on a tour and dropping us at The Hard Rock for dinner.

RedPat said...

I don't think there are any left here in Toronto either. I do like that jacket, Sharon! Some collector will be pleased to get it.

Roseann said...

I bought a Tshirt for my nephew at every Hard Rock I visited. My best was the one from the Moscow Hard Rock.

Karl said...

I visited a Hard Rock Cafe only once, it was in Osaka, many years ago...

Bill said...

I remember when they were very popular. Long lines of people always waiting to go in. I seen a few but never been in one. I imagine some people will miss them. Nice leather jacket though. :)

Catalyst said...

With the lease expiring, the owner of the building can put in a skyrocketingly high rental rate.

And, yes, "skyrocketingly" is a word. Why? Because I say it is. :^D}

Billy Blue Eyes said...

You have to wonder, Think I have only been to one and that was in Tokio

William Kendall said...

I know there's been one here, though I can't recall if it's still in business.

Gemel said...

Wow haven't heard of the Hard Rock cafes in years, great to see on still around.

Amy said...

I don't know if we have one here in NZ but I can understand it closing, it seems to be more of a 90s thing that's maybe not so popular anymore.

Steve Reed said...

I think the whole chain is dwindling. As some of your other commenters said, it's kind of a thing of the past, isn't it? London's is still open, though. I went there with my visiting stepmother not too long ago!

Bob Crowe said...

C and I remember going to thee original one on Piccadilly in London. We lost ours a couple of years ago. It's not missed. Didn't the Hard Rock Hotel in Las Vegas go under?