Saturday, January 11, 2020

Garden of Earthly Delights


I drove to Mesa yesterday to see an exhibit at the Mesa Art Center that is about to end.  I had seen a few photos from the exhibit and I was intrigued and I wasn't disappointed.  I enjoyed everything in the exhibit but, these colorful sculptures were a favorite.  They are exquisite.

The artist is Roberto Benavidez, a California sculptor who creates these sculptures from fine paper.  This particular show was called "Medieval Piñata"
















They are based on fanciful creatures found in medieval manuscripts, especially Hieronymus Bosch's Garden of Earthly Delights.































I love the way these were displayed.  Each was hung from almost invisible fishing line.  They would move and turn with the air currents in the room.

I loved them all!

13 comments:

biebkriebels said...

Oh I like this, they are made so ingenious, amazing!

Andy said...

The artist has a amazing imagination.

Karl said...

Strange creatures, but beautiful !

s.c said...

Great show.

RedPat said...

Fabulous, Sharon! I love them all!

Steve Reed said...

Those are amazing. It's incredible what people do, isn't it? Such incredibly detailed work, and so finely crafted.

PerthDailyPhoto said...

Hi Sharon,they are indeed exquisite, love the shadows they make as they hang suspended there. I hope you had a wonderful Arizona Christmas and all the very best for the new year 💙

Bill said...

Amazing and beautifully done!

Kay said...

Bosch come to life! What an interesting, amazing assortment of creatures. They're all very well done. I love the vivid colors on the first critter.

Bob Crowe said...

Sure, there are wires, but there is a bit of levitation going on here.

R's Rue said...

Lovely.

William Kendall said...

I like these.

Gemel said...

No words for these, they are wonderful.