Friday, January 17, 2020

Masks and Costumes


There were some very elaborate costumes on display in the exhibit of Masks and Music from the Congo at the Musical Instrument Museum.  I found this group of costumes especially interesting.  Some are made from cloth and rope while others from shells and bones.

























Many of the masks are made from gourds and trimmed with dried grasses.  They were carved and shaped into all kinds of expressions.

I'm glad I went to see this fascinating exhibit.

10 comments:

Andy said...

The costumes a stunning!

RedPat said...

A fabulous exhibit, Sharon!

Steve Reed said...

Interesting -- and some of those masks are quite old, too, I see from the signs. I bet the costumes are uncomfortable!

Lucyna Drozłowska said...

Bardzo interesująca wystawa .

Bill said...

An excellent exhibit. I love those masks and costumes.

William Kendall said...

These are quite elaborate.

Kay said...

This is as elaborate in its own way as some of the costumes I saw at the Smithsonian Museum of the American Indian. Wow!

PerthDailyPhoto said...

Incredible masks and costumes Sharon, a fabulous exhibition indeed, beautifully shown here!

Gemel said...

Fascinating, how creative they were.

Jack said...

The last mask looks like Michael Jackson.