Wednesday, July 15, 2020

Curiosity Has a Price


Many of us photo bloggers have been searching through our photo files lately to come up with photos to post since we can't get out and about as much as usual.  Last week, I went searching through a file of photos from the Butterfly Wonderland place in Scottsdale.  It's been over 6 years since I visited there.  I think the annual butterfly pavilion at the Desert Botanical Garden always satisfies my need to see butterflies.


While looking through those photos, I noticed that many of the butterflies were not identified so I went to Amazon and found a book called the Smithsonian Handbook on Butterflies and Moths.  I ordered it and it arrived on Monday.  So far, the only one I've found in the book is the first photo.  It's called a Great Orange Tip.  The one above I found doing a Google search. It's a Tamil Lacewing.



So what do you supposed these last two are called?  I can't find them in the book and I wasn't able to find them via Google.  Any ideas out there?  The book I bought has thousands of examples in it but I couldn't find any that come close to these two and I also couldn't find a few that I had already identified.   So that book didn't turn out to be very helpful after all.

By the way, if you want to see the butterflies I posted from the Butterfly Wonderland in the past, just click the Butterfly Wonderland label below.

7/16/20 Update:  Two of my readers did the deep research and found the names of these two butterflies.  The top one is called a Starry Night Cracker, an appropriate name I think.  The last one is called a Rusty Tipped Page.  Thanks very much for finding these for me!

15 comments:

Andy said...

Sorry... nice collection but I can't help. Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ

Janey and Co. said...

Beautiful butterflies! Too bad there is not an app for that. I hear there is one you can identify plants or flowers with. Hiking once in Colorado we ran into a professor and a student who were in search ...on their hike...if a rare butterfly that is only seen in this area.

RedPat said...

I'm not any help either but I do love seeing them, Sharon!

Catarina said...

These are gorgeous.
When I was watering the plants this morning I saw a monarch butterfly. First time in my garden. Usually the ones I see are white.

William Kendall said...

I would not be good in identifying, but they are beautiful.

Bill said...

Those butterflies are gorgeous but I can't identify them at all.

Revrunner said...

Gorgeous!

Kay said...

These are really beautiful. My approach would be the same as yours: google. When my first try hasn't worked I've often tried a different description and googled again.

Travel said...

Pretty, even if we don’t know their names. Spo has a friend in Chicago who could Identify them.

Amy said...

I have no idea about the butterflies sorry but we dont have such pretty ones as those here.

Sami said...

I can't help with the names, but they are beautiful indeed.

PerthDailyPhoto said...

Oh my gosh Sharon if you weren't able to identify them there isn't any hope in the world that I could.. I'm going to enjoy the gorgeousness of them in you captures here 💛

Steve Reed said...

OK, it took some doing, but I think I've got them identified. The black one is a type of cracker -- I believe a red cracker (bizarrely), although it's darker than the examples I see online.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamadryas_(butterfly)

The brown and rust butterfly is Siproeta epaphus.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siproeta_epaphus

Karl said...

They are all beautiful, but I don't know the names either ...

Susie of Arabia said...

Absolutely gorgeous. My favorite is the Lacewing butterfly.