Sunday, February 2, 2020

Crickets, Tea, & Snuff


I stopped at the Phoenix Art Museum on Friday and visited an exhibit in the Asian Gallery called "Crickets, Tea, & Snuff:  Chinese Intellectual Pursuits".  The description explained that the educated class set the standards for aesthetic taste and leisurely pursuits,  Three of those pursuits were the collection of and keeping of crickets, drinking tea and using snuff.


I failed to get a picture of one of the cricket cages but, I did get photos of two different tea pots.  These two were my favorites in the group on display.  I love the lizard on top of the one in the first photo and the smooth lines on the one above.


There were two large cases of different snuff bottles in all shapes and sizes.  The tiny bottles were a symbol of status and wealth.  These in this case were made from jade, tourmaline, agate, ivory, porcelain, enamel, coral, turquoise, malachite and many more precious stones.  It was quite a collection.

I have a new post on Sharon's Sojourns today.  I love the beauty of Santa Fe.

9 comments:

biebkriebels said...

I like that, looks very nice.

Steve Reed said...

Keeping crickets -- wonder how that became a "thing"? Those are some great teapots. I love that second one.

William Kendall said...

Your first shot is my favourite.

RedPat said...

I love that second teapot, Sharon!

Catarina said...

I don't like reptiles!!
I prefer the second tea pot.
:)

Catalyst said...

A great display. Clean lines on all of them. The ancient Chinese knew their snuff, er, I mean stuff.

Gemel said...

Those teapots are just fabulous.

Kay said...

I love those teapots! They both have gorgeous lines and shapes. (I have a small collection of Japanese iron teapots, which I also love.) I've never heard of keeping crickets. Are they good luck?

PerthDailyPhoto said...

Oh I love the teapots Sharon, so beautifully painted too. The snuff bottles are jewelled little gems, what a fascinating exhibition 💜