Tuesday, February 4, 2020

Busy, Busy Weekend


I had a very busy weekend last weekend that started with jazz, moved to classical and then on to Broadway musical with lots of activities in between.


It all started Friday night when I went to The Nash to see and hear the New Guard Big Band featuring the great vocalist Dennis Rowland.  The Nash is not a very big place so that band was all squeezed together on a tiny stage and Rowlands sang from off to one side behind the musicians.  What a voice he has.  It was an outstanding performance by one and all.




















Saturday night it was downtown to Symphony Hall for the Phoenix Symphony performing Verdi's Requiem, a masterful piece that required a full chorus and four soloists.  That was another knock-out performance with the all the drama of an opera and the genius of Verdi's symphonic writing.


Sunday night it was out to Tempe to Grady Gammage Auditorium for a performance of "Fiddler on the Roof" which you probably guessed from the names given to these three drinks.  As always, the bar serves up three drinks themed to the performance.  I had the one called tradition.  The drink was great and so was the outstanding performance by a stellar cast.  I was singing "If I Were a Rich Man" all the way home.

It was quite the cultural weekend, just the kind of busy-busy I love.

8 comments:

PerthDailyPhoto said...

Gosh that really was a busy weekend Sharon. So cool though, all that fabulous music topped off with Fiddler on the Roof AND cocktails 🍸🍸🍸 I've been so lazy, Fringe is in full swing here and I haven't been to one show yet, must get myself moving this week ✨

biebkriebels said...

Nice photos of the orchestra and musicians.

Steve Reed said...

I love "Fiddler on the Roof" -- especially with a Fiddler cocktail!

RedPat said...

I'm impressed by how much energy you have to do all of that in one weekend. I think I have the winter blues after weeks of grey scenes outside. We haven't even had a lot of snow which brightens the landscape!

Catarina said...

That's fantastic! My kind of weekend!

William Kendall said...

I'd enjoy the jazz and classical!

Kay said...

What fun! You were really on the go. It all sounds great. (I thought I was having a nice time but only went to one performance.)

Thérèse said...

What a great musical weekend full of nice souvenirs for the eye and for the ear.