Monday, September 23, 2019

Monarch Mania


Finally, after the long and very hot summer, it was pleasant enough to take a walk at the Desert Botanical Garden.  And luckily, the fall butterfly pavilion had just opened on Saturday.  The fall butterfly exhibit features monarchs and this year there was an abundance of them.



I enjoyed finding them among the fall flowers and hidden in the leaves.


This one was hanging onto a branch over the little pond inside the pavilion.



But, I was quite literally thrilled when I found a whole cluster of them clinging to the leaves of a tree.  It was a stunning sight to see.

I'm so glad the temperatures have become more manageable.  I hope to get out for walks again!

13 comments:

Andy said...

Their beauty and navigation system makes monarchs one of nature's wonders. I am see many more this year and they are heading your way. Wish I were there at the Desert Botanical Garden.

Catarina said...

Beautiful!
The other day when I went to the park I finally saw them for the first time this year. Clusters of them.

Kate said...

Lovely shots of this incredible animal. I felt that some of these photos, esp the last two, made me think of the spots in Mexico where many of them arrive on their last journey.

PerthDailyPhoto said...

I know how much you enjoy those walks Sharon, I love seeing the shots you take there, botanic gardens are so special. Monarchs are beautiful butterflies on their own but en masse like this they are stunning 💛

RedPat said...

These are amazing pics, Sharon! I have never seen them in large groups like that as here it is more individual ones starting out on their journey. Fabulous post!

Recep Hilmi TUFAN | rehitu.com said...

Beautiful shots! Thanks...

Bill said...

The butterflies are gorgeous. You captured them perfectly, I love their colour and designs.

William Kendall said...

What beauties!

Kay said...

Fabulous shots of beautiful butterflies! I've seen them clustered like this in migration in California. What a wonderful sight!
(Thanks for dropping by Sequim Daily Photo.)

OJ said...

The butterfly wings appear inspired by stained glass windows … or is it the other way round?

Karl said...

Wow, such great photos !

Jack said...

It is so exciting to see monarchs thriving, isn't it? I haven't read anything from scientists, but anecdotally I am seeing many monarchs in many places, so I am hopeful.

Steve Reed said...

What an amazing find. I've never seen monarchs in a cluster like that. (I know they're sometimes found together in the thousands, but I've never seen it.)