Thursday, April 25, 2019

Past and Present


Before I leave the Phoenix Art Museum, I have to show you one more painting that I hadn't seen before.  It's titled "Kneeling Monk" and it was painted by Harry B Wagoner (1889 - 1950).  It's a view of Camelback Mountain that I've shown many times on this blog with the "Praying Monk" (what we call that formation now) jutting up like a little bracket in the center of the painting.


A lot has changed in the area since that painting was made!  I'm sure Wagoner would recognize the mountain again if he could see it but, I'm equally sure he wouldn't recognize the desert surrounding it.




13 comments:

biebkriebels said...

Yes the mountain didn't change a bit but when looking the surroundings...

Andy said...

I am looking forward to your future photos taken from the mountain's hump. ;-)

Catarina said...

Showing us both photos was a great idea! Thanks!
: )

The Padre said...

What A Stellar Day - Gr8 Shot

Cheers

RedPat said...

What a difference, Sharon!

Steve Reed said...

Nice to see the comparison. That desert must have been wonderful when it was utter wilderness.

PerthDailyPhoto said...

Oh wow there certainly have been some changes since he painted this image Sharon. Love the praying/kneeling monk now that you pointed him out ✨

William Kendall said...

Quite a difference between now and the time of his painting.

Bill said...

What a big difference in the time frames. I love the look of the surrounding area in the painting. So different but peaceful looking. Thanks for showing both.

Spare Parts and Pics said...

What a beautiful desert painting! It inspires me, but not so much seeing the changed surroundings.

Recep Hilmi TUFAN | rehitu.com said...

Everywhere is concrete jungle...

Thérèse said...

Nature is consistently strong and inspiring.

Judy said...

I love that painting!