Tuesday, June 11, 2024

Chihuly: Master of Artistic Glass

 

I made a quick trip to Oklahoma City last Friday specifically to see an exhibit at the OKC Museum of Art.  I had read that the museum had the biggest exhibit of Chihuly glass works outside of Seattle.  I saw the exhibit in Seattle several years ago.  I love his work so much I decided that a trip to Oklahoma City would be an adventure.  

My only past views of OKC has been from the freeway while driving through the city on trips to my home town in Illinois and back to Phoenix.  I've never actually been in the city before so this was a new experience. I was only there for two days but I saw quite a lot and enjoyed my time there.  The city was impressive in many ways.

The Chihuly exhibit was well worth the trip.  Once again I got to enjoy his artistry with glass and bold colors.  This is just a peek at the pieces on view.  I'll show some of the other things I discovered in OKC over the next week.

I think this was my favorite display.  So many wonderful shapes and colors piled into this boat.  I sat in the room for a few minutes to soak up the magical beauty of it all.

7 comments:

Travel said...

Such great colors. I saw the Seattle display in 2019.

Diaday said...

The Franklin Park Conservatory in Columbus, OH has a permanent Chihuly exhibit. I love to see it anytime but at night the red glass looks like it's on fire and the other pieces take on a totally different look when they're illuminated.

Bill said...

Incredible exhibit. I love all the colours in the last display, they are so beautiful.

RedPat said...

He is an incredible designer. I like that boat display too, Sharon.

remmij said...

as Diaday mentioned:
https://www.fpconservatory.org/discover/gardens-collections/chihuly-collection/

Steve Reed said...

Oh, I didn't realize you went to OKC for fun! I thought you were there for work! I love that third shot. The light and color is magical.

Gemel said...

Oh my, WOW! The second last photo is my favourite.