Friday, October 11, 2019

Beef Eaters


In the pavement before the entrance a local bookstore, not many people notice the words Beef Eaters inlaid in the stone.  This building used to be the home to a restaurant called Beef Eaters and it was a place I dined several times many, many years ago.  When I first moved to Phoenix I went to work for the Continental Bank (long gone) and the chairman of that bank used to hold all the bank's special events and celebrations here.  It was one of those dark wood paneled, leather booth kind of places that specialized in prime rib.  You might say it was very masculine, the perfect place for a bunch of bankers.


The man who owned the restaurant, Jay Newton retired in 2001 and the property was eventually sold.  The people who bought it did some expansion and now the property is home to the Changing Hands Book Store, First Draft bar (inside the book store), Southern Rail restaurant and the Southwest Garden center.  It's a great mixed use complex that has become very popular.

It's all new now but, every time I go to the book store, I look down to see if the Beef Eaters sign is still there.

9 comments:

Steve Reed said...

It's cool that they've been able to put the building to use and it still looks really nice. I like the fact that they left the old Beef Eaters sign in the pavement!

RedPat said...

I though it was going to be something British & male. Glad they saved the sign, Sharon!

PerthDailyPhoto said...

Love that the pavement sign is still there Sharon, though as you say probably not many look down to see it. A 'bunch of beef eating bankers' popped into my head after reading your words 😉

William Kendall said...

A better use of the building if you ask me.

Bill said...

What a great story, Sharon. You're probably one of the few who can relate to the old name. Most people probably don't even see it and if they did would wonder about it. What does that mean. :)

Catalyst said...

I, too, ate at Beef Eaters often back in the day. Perhaps we were there at the same time. I haven't been to Phoenix in a long time but I have been in that Changing Hands bookstore and eaten at Southern Rail.

Amy said...

It's good they kept the mat and hopefully the bookshop gets alot of business.

Kay said...

You're so right about those masculine sorts of places. Nice to see it's given way to an interesting assortment of shops.

Thérèse said...

I miss so much the "Changing Hands Bookstore" and never miss to visit it once a year when I come.