Tuesday, November 7, 2017

The Return of Black Cloud


Back in 2013 I posted images of this art piece by the Mexican artist Carlos Amorales.  It's called Black Cloud and was inspired by the annual migration of Monarch butterflies from Canada to Mexico each year.


Once again the entry hall at the Phoenix Art Museum has filled up with 25,000 black butterflies and moths.  


Carlos Amorales is a highly celebrated Mexican artist.  He was chosen to represent Mexico in the 2017 Venice Biennial which is one of the highest international honors for an artist.

I can't imagine how long it takes to fix all these black paper butterflies to the walls and ceiling.  That must be quite a job.

10 comments:

Andy said...

Wow! Massive project. I have seen anything like this before.

Christine said...

Absolutely incredible & amazing to see!

Stefan Jansson said...

Wow. Like Andy said, really massive project.

Lowell said...

We saw a similar project at the Univ. of Florida butterfly museum. It's interesting, but I'm not sure it's worth the effort. I have the urge to swat the things and clean up the walls! :))

Judy Ryer said...

That first picture grabs my attention. The man in the colorful shirt and hat against the black and white makes for a great image. And his pose is perfect. Your photographic eye is evident.

William Kendall said...

That is beautifully done.

Thérèse said...

Oh my!

RedPat said...

This looks so wonderful, Sharon!

Bill said...

Incredible and impressive looking!

Jack said...

I love this! But I would not have the patience to glue them all.