Friday, May 3, 2013

Black Cloud


Back in April when I went to the Art Museum for the Arts & Flowers exhibit I was met with this rather overwhelming infestation of black butterflies.  It was part of a temporary exhibit called "Order, Chaos and the Space Between".  It featured works from the Diane and Bruce Halle Collection of Latin art.

This piece entitled "Black Cloud" was the work of artist Carlos Amorales and it covered many walls and the ceiling leading from the entrance of the museum to the exhibit  room.  I found it somehow exhilarating.  I stood in the hallway looking in every direction.

Carlos had another piece in the exhibit that would be impossible for me to explain but, I went back three times to look at it.  It was similar to this.  
If you Google his name and look at the images, you'll see a lot of photos of his interesting works.

12 comments:

Mo said...

Yuk that is freaky

Unknown said...

This is amazing! I've seen something similar at the Kensington Palace in London a couple of years ago, but what really took my breath away was the sight of millions of real butterflies from diferent species when I was visiting Angola. I was travelling on an open jeep and even had to protect eyes and mouth. I never knew why that happened but will never forget it. I guess the Monarch migration must be something of the kind.

Thérèse said...

The black makes the whole thing claustrophobic!
The vertical earthquake is wonderful on the link!

Judy said...

I love butterflies, but this is just too many in one place. And then I read JM's comment. It's an interesting piece of art and makes me think of butterflies in a whole new way.

Lowell said...

I think one might need to see this in person to really appreciate it. At first I thought these were bats! I found it somewhat frightening until I read they were butterflies. Not too sure how I feel about the "vertical earthquakes." Probably kind of how you feel about Scientology! :)

I remember being in Sequin, Texas for a conference and in the evening the skies would be black with bats. That was pretty weird!

RedPat said...

How odd. It must be quite an experience!

Anonymous said...

Very dramatic and quite overwhelming!

Jack said...

Outstanding, Sharon. I could not come up with the idea for this installation if I had three lifetimes.

Mary Helen-Art Saves Lives said...

I wish I could have been there to experience this from all angles..it has a way of mesmerizing me in your photos. Peace, Mary Helen Fernandez Stewart

PerthDailyPhoto said...

I've said it before and I'll say it again Sharon, the artistic mind truly astounds me..HOW do they come up with these visions, and how lucky we are that they do!

Kate said...

This I'd like to see in person.

Randy said...

That would have to be experienced. Lucky you.