Wednesday, November 22, 2017

Technology in Action


I've been wanting to grab a photo of one these cars for months but since I only see them when I'm driving, it's been a challenge.  I finally captured one at a traffic light.  It's the new "driverless" car that Uber is testing here in Arizona.  (You can see the sensor on the top of the car.)


When the light changed, I went in one direction and the car went in another but, a little while later we met up again at a different traffic light.  Yes, there is a driver in there but, he's not driving the car,  While the cars are being tested, there are usually two technicians inside who help with refining and improving the software.  I watched this one turn the corner and that guy in the driver's seat was just sitting there and letting it turn all by itself.

Uber announced yesterday that they had made an agreement with Volvo to purchase 24,000 of these cars between 2019 and 2021.  After Uber gets the car, they will install the sensors and autonomous driving computing equipment.  Uber has been testing these cars in Arizona, San Francisco and Pittsburgh for the last couple of years.  At this time they are only testing, they do not take any passengers.

So, what do you think?  Are you ready to take a ride in a "driverless" car?  Buckle up!

14 comments:

Billy Blue Eyes said...

Uber not doing very well here in the UK at the moment and I don't think I would want to trust their driverless car either

Andy said...

I have a GPS that at times directs to routes that don't make sense.

Lowell said...

The greatest problem with technology is that if something is possible, people make it so without questioning whether it's a good idea or not. I'm very suspicious of such foolishness. My car tells me when there's someone behind me or coming up along side of me, plus other stuff, and I think that's useful. But I can't even trust my doctors to be right all the time so I'm supposed to trust a car. I don't think so! :)

Christine said...

Uber has run into numerous diffs here in the UK and at the moment I don't think I could trust a driverless car!
Bet Volvo don't mind though!

Kate said...

I have to think long and hard about this new development in the auto industry.. .keeping an open mind.
I have been blogging and commenting sporadically lately, but I have missed my daily blogging "fix." Life gets complicated sometimes! Hope that you have a lovely Thanksgiving!

PerthDailyPhoto said...

Nope no way! I mean, who would I talk too 😀😀

William Kendall said...

No, I just can't trust technology like that.

RedPat said...

Not for me either, Sharon! I'm a late adapter of technology.

Judy Ryer said...

My GPS told me to turn into the Mississippi river. I think I'll wait on the driverless cars for awhile.

Catalyst said...

I think I'd be nervous.

Bill said...

I can't even trust my computer to act right so I'll stick to walking and taking the bus.

Steve Reed said...

I think I'd rather drive myself!

Thérèse said...

We certainly do need time to get used to this!

Jack said...

I am fascinated by these automated cars. As I get older, I think that automation will keep me mobile even if/when I lose some abilities. (Though at the moment I am fine.) I think my next car will be one that features a lot of automated driver safety enhancements, like the ability to parallel park, move me back into the lane if I begin to drift, stop for me if I am slow to brake, etc. If I want to be independent as long as possible, some automation will be a blessing. Completely driverless? I might wait a bit on that.