Sunday, November 19, 2017

The View from the Stage


A friend of mine gave me tickets to an event at the Mesa Arts Center which was called "A Conversation & Book Signing" with Sarah Vowell and Daniel Handler.  If those names don't sound familiar (they didn't with me at first), Sarah Vowell is an author who refers to herself as a 'social observer' and Daniel Handler is also an author and the creator of Lemony Snicket.

The event started on an unusual note when instead of sitting in the audience, ticket holders were seated on the stage.  It was a great opportunity for me to get a quick photo of this magnificent theatre from a vantage point that would otherwise be impossible to get.  The event was very enjoyable with lots of humorous stories about how the two authors conceived of their most current books and other hints into their creative processes.

I have a new post on Sharon's Sojourns today.  I'm visiting a place in Washington D.C. that many visitors miss.

10 comments:

Andy said...

Wow! It is so massive and beautiful.

PerthDailyPhoto said...

Oh my gosh! Imagine performing there when all those seats are filled! You can see why some get stage fright ☺ it's a beautiful theatre Sharon, excellent to be able to get this viewpoint.

William Kendall said...

A beautiful space, Sharon!

Judy Ryer said...

That was unusual seating!

Lowell said...

I lived in Tempe, worked in Phoenix. Moved to Scottsdale and worked, for the most part, in Mesa. I do not remember anything like this building! But it's gorgeous! And your photo is just grand. What a fun time that must have been. I know I've heard of Lemony Snicket, but can't remember what he/it was all about.

RedPat said...

A great pic, Sharon!

Bill said...

A very impressive view, it's big and beautiful. A perfect image, well done Sharon.

Catalyst said...

I attended a couple of events in this theatre and it IS stunning inside.

Jack said...

This would have been an interesting evening. I like your photo. We in the audience rarely get the chance to see the theater from this perspective. I can remember maybe five times. Not sure I took photos.

Karl said...

Wow, beautiful !