Twenty-five years ago on September 10th 2001, I flew to San Francisco. I had been working there on a project that had just ended and I was returning to the city to clear my things out of the apartment I had been renting. When I woke up the next morning, I awoke to the news that was already three hours old due to time zones. I remember waking up to the familiar voices on NPR and wondering what they were talking about in such somber tones. As the haze of sleep lifted and I understood what was being said, I jumped up and turned on the TV.
I remember that feeling of unease. I called family members to see how they were dealing with the news.
Fast forward 25 years and on September 10th 2026, just two days ago, I was once again flying and the thought of the significance of that date never entered my mind when I made those reservations. In fact, the date did not occur to me until I was waiting to board my flight from Chicago. I didn't feel any fear over it but I did recall my own 9/11 experience. I thought how the world has changed since that event and how our government's reaction to it has lead us to the hateful and incompetent leadership we are enduring now.
I may have no fear of flying but I do fear what the future may hold for all of us.

2 comments:
Each of us has a vivid memory that is specific to 9/11/2001. Your memory began on a flight to the West Coast and 25 years later it comes full circle with a flight from the East Coast back to home. I still cling to hope for the future.
PS...Beautiful photo!
Post a Comment