Wednesday, September 15, 2021

Creative Knots

 

I went to the Shemer Art Center last weekend to see their latest show called "Creative Knots".  It was composed of works primarily in fiber and wood.  

Here are some examples from the show.  Above is a work by artist Shelly White called "Book of Days".  Ms White describes it as an accordion book made with hand dyed silk and stitching.  The swirling patterns of the pages were somehow calming and peaceful.

To the right is a piece called "Tree Spirit" by artist Elizabeth Frank.  She uses sustainable and reclaimed materials to create her sculptures.  She says "her artwork is a reflection of her worldview that we are all here to care for one another and to act as stewards for the earth."  I like that thought and I like the Tree Spirit.















Here is another piece made from wood called "Elm Tower" by Roger Asay and Rebecca Davis.  They state that they work with a desire to let the materials used be the subject and focus of the sculptures.  You can plainly see the pieces of wood used, they are just put together in a simple but different form.  


I'll show you a few more pieces from this show tomorrow.  

I love seeing the shows at the Shemer because they feature local artists and because the space is so small and easily accessible.  








8 comments:

Andy said...

Creative Knots is certainly different and eye catching.

biebkriebels said...

I like the name Creative Knots and the art too!

Gemel said...

The second image is really impressive.

Steve Reed said...

Interesting works! I like the emphasis on the materials.

Travel said...

Neat, sounds like a nice space also

William Kendall said...

The third is my favourite.

RedPat said...

I like the Tree Spirit too, Sharon!

Bill said...

I love Tree Spirit too. I went to her website and her art is amazing.