Tuesday, July 30, 2019

Grand Procession


When I went to the Heard Museum a week ago to see the show "Color Riot", I also saw another temporary exhibit called "Grand Procession".   It consisted of "Contemporary Plains Indian Dolls from the Charles and Valerie Diker Collection".  These were a type of Indian craft that I had not seen before and they were beautiful.  It's an exceptional collection of what some call "soft sculptures".  All of the 23 dolls included represent indigenous peoples from the Great Plains and Great Basin regions who lived during the late 19th century.












I found the dolls to be intricately designed  with leather clothing and tiny micro-beads and feathers.

They represent beautifully detailed work by Jamie Okuma, Rhonda Holy Bear and three generations of the Growing Thunder family, Joyce and Jessa Rae Growing Thunder and Juanita Growing Thunder Fogarty.

9 comments:

Stefan Jansson said...

Impressive work.

biebkriebels said...

Interesting exhibit!

David M. Gascoigne, said...

I am sure this was a fascinating exhibit and one that I would have enjoyed immensely. I am afraid that many of these rich cultures have been lost lost forever and live on only as artifacts.

Thérèse said...

Really, really fascinating! I wish I had been there.

RedPat said...

These are amazing, Sharon!

PerthDailyPhoto said...

Oh they are exceptionally beautiful Sharon, so much work has gone in to the details. Enjoyed seeing very much, now I'm going back to see what other Phoenix sights I've missed while away 💙

William Kendall said...

These are fascinating!

Catalyst said...

Stunning.

DeniseinVA said...

Incredible exhibition!