Monday, March 4, 2019

Blue Ribbon Craftsmanship



On Saturday, I went to the annual Heard Museum's Indian Fair and Market.  As always, it was a day well spent viewing extraordinary art and talking with interesting artists.  I'll show you a little sample here.

First up, is Ancient Dignity from Mark Fischer an Oneida sculptor.  You might remember that I spotted a life sized bison similar to this three years ago in Old Town Scottsdale.  You can see that one here.



















Above is a painting by Carol Emarthle-Douglas.  Carol is Northern Arapaho - Seminole. I love the simplicity of this painting and if my walls weren't already completely covered, I might have been tempted to purchase this one.

To the left is a wonderful and whimsical sculpture made from clay.  It was created by Kathleen Wall of the Jemez Pueblo in New Mexico.   I always enjoy seeing these wonderful characters.














And here is Rain Scott with his "paper sculpture" of a peacock.  He creates wonderful pieces using the origami technique.

I think he might be very new to markets like this because he didn't have business cards.  He simply wrote his name on a small card and gave it to me.


















This last artist is a photographer, Cara Romero and she is from Santa Fe New Mexico.  I immediately fell in love with the top photo (and it's message) and asked if I could photograph it.  To see more of Cara's work, check out her instagram page.  She is very creative.

Tomorrow I'll show you some of the entertainment I saw at my visit to the market.

9 comments:

Andy said...

First class!

biebkriebels said...

Beautiful art!

Steve Reed said...

Wow, that peacock is incredible! And yes, I love the "No Wall" photo, too.

Judy Ryer said...

These are all great!

RedPat said...

I like that painting too, Sharon!

Bill said...

Beautiful art, I love the peacock.

Lois said...

Lovely work! I think my favorite is the peacock.

William Kendall said...

Ancient Dignity is my favourite of the set.

PerthDailyPhoto said...

Oh my gosh I love everything here Sharon, the bison, like the one you spotted before is magnificent! Love the paintings and photographer's work.. but the paper peacock is too fabulous!