Monday, May 4, 2009

Agave Flowers

There are said to be over 300 species of agave plants but currently only 200 are recognized. Most of these plants are monocarpic meaning they produce fruit or blooms only once in their life. However, there are several species that can flower several times during their life. The flowers of the agave plant are as varied as the species and they are considered “perfect” flowers because they contain both male and female parts. The plants are either pollinated by bats or by insects depending on the scents they produce. Here I have put together a collage of agave blooms I’ve seen around town. Two of them are right in my back yard.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

beautifull and love this photograph =)

Anonymous said...

Gosh. These photos are really nice. I like the textures of the blooms as well as the different colors.

Dave-CostaRicaDailyPhoto.com said...

gorgeous agave flower collage

Judy said...

They really are spectacular blooms!

Miranda McAfee said...

Very pretty. I didn't realize such a pretty plant made my favorite drink...Teqila! Happy Cinco do Mayo

Unknown said...

Fantastic collage, Sharon! Gorgeous blooms! You know I love agaves (and all the succulents, cacti included)! :-)