There was one exhibit at the Phoenix Art Museum that I was looking forward to seeing. It is called "Modern Treads: The Discount Tire Poster Collection". The Discount Tire Company is headquartered in the Phoenix area and they are strong supporters of the arts communities in the valley including the Phoenix Art Museum. Their collection of vintage posters from between 1900 and 1930 are on display at the art museum for all to enjoy.
The Goodrich poster almost looked familiar to me. I wonder if I saw one when I tagged along with my dad to the auto shop.
I found the poster above rather intriguing. It represents Fifteen Fisk Boys. The Fisk Rubber Company's mascot was a pajama clad child and this poster shows fifteen of those.
I also like this poster from the Excelsior company. They made precision seals and gaskets for pneumatic thermostats and pneumatic actuation systems.
This certainly brought back a few childhood memories of the times I went with my dad to a local auto repair shop and saw our car up on those tall lifts and the mechanics doing their work beneath it.





2 comments:
What an absolutely fascinating exhibition.
Brought back memories of full page newspaper advertisements from tire dealers, listing different brands, styles, sizes and prices, my father would study those like the stock market pages.
Post a Comment