Tuesday, July 28, 2026

Photographing Mercury

 

Last November I did a post about the Florentine Baroque exhibit at the Phoenix Art Museum.  The exhibit contained some impressive paintings and some equally impressive frames for many of them. In fact, I mentioned in that post that the frames were also works of art.

The exhibit also included this statue of Mercury in his most common pose.  The statue was inside a glass case and against that very "busy" wall so it was difficult to get a good photo of it. I think this is the best one I got.









When I was at the art museum last week for the mini symphony concert, I decided to try taking another photo of that statue.  I decided to try the "stage light" mode on my iPhone to see if I could get the image without that busy background.  This was the result.  It managed to get rid of the background but it picked up reflections in the glass case.  I believe that is a face from one of the paintings on the opposite wall.  It certainly gave Mercury a ghostly look.  

6 comments:

Travel said...

Very artistic.

RedPat said...

The 1st one feels like how the sculpture may have been displayed when 1st created.

contempladoraocidental.blogspot.com said...

Mercury is very photogenic!

Steve Reed said...

Both of those pictures turned out pretty cool! I hate trying to photograph things behind glass.

Diaday said...

Both are very cool photos!

Gemel said...

Great photos Sharon. Very artistic.