On my summer walk at the Desert Botanical Garden last weekend, I found one spot that was full of those bright yellow flowers that resemble a small version of sunflowers. They were past their floral prime and were now a feast for the birds, especially the goldfinches. It seems that goldfinches can't resist snacking on the blooms. As I stood there, I realized that I was surrounded by goldfinches, lots and lots of them.
They were hanging onto the flowers centers and picking their way through the seeds inside. There were so many that the flower stalks were swaying and sagging with the weight of the birds.
I snapped multiple photos trying to capture the birds as they swung from the plants. In the photo above, I managed to capture four of them in one shot. They blend in with the background so much that it's hard to make them out but if you look closely, you will see all four.
I asked Google what a group of goldfinches is called and found out they are called "a charm" of goldfinches. I found the whole situation very charming indeed so I think that's a fitting name.



3 comments:
The photos are stunning!!!
Wow! You are so patient to sit and look around, I need to stay still more often.
Charming indeed, Sharon. These are great shots.
Post a Comment