Thursday, October 24, 2024

Bloodline, Part 2

 

I have three more images from the "Bloodline" exhibit at the Heard Museum that I wrote about yesterday.  I am struck by the symbolism in each of these photos.  This one is called "Remember the Sky Your Were Born Under".  McMaster states: "For the most part I'll never meet my viewers. But those are probably the most important conversations that I have, the silent conversations through my work. They're just like seeds that are floating around. They'll catch ground somewhere hopefully, and maybe get enough water to grow."  What a beautiful way to think about how her work impacts those who view it.  Maybe my little blog post is helping to spread those seeds.

In this work, McMaster is expressing her connection with all her grandmothers.  "There's a lot going on underneath that we don't see that's connected to who we are."

I really love this one.  This one is called "Cartography of the Unseen".  "The curator's note says "The ever shifting sands offer a potent metaphor for the history of colonial oppression - the systematic erasure, rewriting, and covering over of previous lives and endemic species."

All of her photos were taken in Canada, even the one on the dunes.  It was taken at the Great Sandhills in Saskatchewan.  

What an amazing artist and what an amazing exhibit.

2 comments:

biebkriebels said...

Lovely pictures of the exhibition.

biebkriebels said...

again? Lovely pictures of the exhibition