Thursday, November 15, 2018

Light, Water and Art


On Tuesday evening I joined friends to experience the fall "Canal Convergence" art installations at the Scottsdale waterfront.  I think this was the best one I've ever attended.  Above is an installation called "Iceberg".  It was a tunnel of light and sound to represent an iceberg from calving to melting.  It was fun to walk through and pretty to look at.  It was created by Atomic3 and Appareil Architecture in collaboration with Jean-Sebastian Cote and Philippe Jean.


Another feature was something called "Arizona" which was a hand-crocheted lace ribbon, 8 feet wide and over 600 feet long.  It took 100 volunteer crocheters to put it together following a design created by Choi+Shine.



I think my favorite piece was something called "Floatus" which consisted of 12 aluminum lotus sculptures floating in the canal.  Each was equipped with LED lights that changed colors and flame FX systems that could shoot fire 30 feet in the air.  The fire shows were choreographed to music and happened at certain intervals.  This one was created by Walter Productions.

There were many more pieces that I will show in the next day or two.  The event only lasts until Sunday so I think I'll go one more time to see it again and photograph more.  What a super event!

10 comments:

biebkriebels said...

Oh, I like this, that chroceted lace ribbon is amazing!

Catarina said...

Great colors at night.

RedPat said...

That all looks like magic, Sharon! I hope you get to go back!

Judy Ryer said...

How fun! I love that ribbon.

Lowell said...

Scottsdale has a waterfront? Noooooooo! All I remember is Main Street, some dirt streets off of that and a variety of stores. That waterfront looks fantastic! Love the "lace" curtain, too. Beautiful photos and post, Sharon!

Silver in AZ said...

very pretty!

William Kendall said...

Arizona is quite a photogenic installation!

Bill said...

Arizona is absolutely beautiful. The photos are so colourful and gorgeous. Nice post, Sharon!

Lois said...

My favorite is the crocheted piece. It is amazing!

Steve Reed said...

Floating fire-shooting lotuses! That seems very Buddhist, somehow.