Saturday, August 25, 2018

Reality Check



On Friday, two friends and I went to the Phoenix Art Museum to see a temporary exhibit showcasing three short virtual reality videos.  These are my two friends watching the Andy Warhol film.  The other two films were about David Bowie as Ziggy Stardust and Kenny Scharf's Cosmic Cavern.  All three dealt with pop art, music, fashion and culture.

I'll describe it as an interesting experience.  I think I liked the Cosmic Cavern one the best because it put you in a room filled with neon colors and crazy objects.  You could look around and see every corner of the room.  The other two I'd describe as images flying at you from every direction. They didn't really appeal to me that much.

I kept thinking about all the possibilities for this genre.  Wouldn't it be fabulous to see a film from inside the International Space Station viewed this way?  I'd love to feel like I was floating around the space station which is an experience I'll never get in real life.

10 comments:

biebkriebels said...

Techniques are still improving, interesting to experience this.

Sandi said...

Maybe one day we will wear these things all the time. Everyone could live in a beautiful place.

PerthDailyPhoto said...

Oh I'm not sure about the flying around in the space station Sharon, you know how I feel about normal air flight 😀😀 Looks like a fun experience though!

William Kendall said...

There was an embassy event here last year that had that sort of gear- and it allowed you to walk through the ruins around Chernobyl.

Karl said...

Interesting experience, Sharon.

RedPat said...

I have wondered whether you feel motion sickness when viewing s film like that. It does sound like fun though, Sharon!

RedPat said...

Thanks Sharon - I would probably get woozy too!

Catarina said...

I have never had that experience. I am sure it was enjoyable.

Bill said...

That sounds like a unique experience I would like to try.

Steve Reed said...

Well, who knows? I keep hearing about the prospect of space tourism! Maybe you'll get a chance one of these days! :)