Saturday, October 7, 2017

Meeting the Artist


My good friend David asked if I wanted to join him Thursday night to attend a VIP reception for the opening of an art exhibit by Hugo Medina.  I jumped at the chance and I'm so glad I did.  You see, I've seen some of this artist's work before in murals around the city.  In fact, I featured one recently on this site, here.  This particular show is called Portraits by Hugo Medina and it features some new work he's done that was inspired by a recent backpacking trip across Europe.  The one above was one of my favorites however, I will say it was hard to pick a favorite.  He does faces so beautifully.  This one was inspired by a scene on the colorful island of Burano in Venice Italy.  He told me that the three women were not keen on having their photo taken but after hearing he was an artist finally decided it was okay.  This show is currently at the Onyx Art Gallery at 1346 W Roosevelt Street in Phoenix and it runs from now until November 3rd.  If you live in area, stop by and take a look at his wonderful portraits.  I know you will be impressed.

11 comments:

Steve Reed said...

Love the painting! Oh, and thanks for the information on The Magic Flute a few days ago -- I hadn't heard of that production! Looks terrific!

Andy said...

I like his art. For this painting he was thinking outside of the frame.

Christine said...

This is visually very exciting and what great portraits of these ladies!

Lois said...

It is a beautiful piece. How exciting that you got to meet the artist!

William Kendall said...

I like his work. It has a vivid, matter of fact style.

RedPat said...

I like this a lot, Sharon! I could happily live with it! ;-)

Judy Ryer said...

I like it!

Bill said...

What a fantastic piece of art. I love it and I enjoy seeing his work. Must have been very exciting meeting him.

PerthDailyPhoto said...

I like his style a lot Sharon, loved the mural he painted a while back.

Jack said...

A fine portrait, Sharon. I can see why you like the painting of the three Italian women.

Thérèse said...

A unique kind of art. Very interesting.