Tuesday, October 17, 2017

Look at What Has Invaded the Garden


If you've followed my blog for any length of time, you probably realize that the Desert Botanical Garden always has an interesting art exhibit that adds a splash of color to the the garden trails.  We've seen a variety of artists represented most notably two different Chihuly exhibits.  This year the prize goes to Jun Kaneko, the Japanese-American artist who creates such colorful and fanciful sculptures.


A favorite of his sculptures are the wonderfully colorful "Tanuki" or raccoon/dogs.  The garden has a whole ring of these whimsical creatures.





























In addition, there are quite a few "Heads" which Kaneko is also famous for creating.  There are also many more colorful creations of various shapes and sizes.  Since the exhibit stays up well into spring of next year, I'm sure I'll be showing you more of these fantastic pieces over the months ahead.

13 comments:

Thérèse said...

Easy to spot. I am not sure I like them except for the color side of them.

William Kendall said...

Whimsical, Sharon!

Judy Ryer said...

It must be fun to find these as you wander the trails.

Lowell said...

I cannot help but wonder where people come up with such crazy ideas and colors. I mean, I think I have an active imagination, but then you show these things and I realize my imagination is really dull in comparison! :)

Christine said...

I'm sure the first creature you shared would be a great children's story character!
The heads head turning!

Lois said...

How fun!

PerthDailyPhoto said...

What a super setting for these colourful creations Sharon ☺

RedPat said...

We have one of his very large heads in front of the Gardiner Museum of Ceramics and I love it so would love to see this exhibition. Looking forward to more oils this winter, Sharon!

Amy said...

I love checking out places like that, you get to see some real creative stuff.

Bill said...

Unique, creative and colourful, I love these fun pieces of art.

Silver in AZ said...

I absolutely love it!!!

Kate said...

A raccoon dog certainly is an unusual species! The Botanical Garden has certainly given you many hours of pleasure and entertained us also with your many photos. Don't ever stop!!

Steve Reed said...

Wow! That is wild! Have you ever seen the Japanese animated movie "Pom Poko," from Studio Ghibli, in which the characters are raccoon dogs? A very, very strange movie.