Thursday, October 26, 2017

Butterflies of a Different Color


This year, instead of having only monarch butterflies in the butterfly pavilion for the fall exhibit, the Desert Botanical Garden has shared the pavilion with a few other colorful butterflies.  The one above is called a White Peacock.


This one is called a Common Buckeye.  I think he's too pretty to have that 'common' moniker attached to his name.


I also spotted this Gulf Fritillary flitting about in the enclosure.  


And, this Pipevine Swallowtail was also showing off his colors.  Mixed in with the monarch butterflies, these beauties made a colorful assortment to admire.

12 comments:

Steve Reed said...

The Buckeye is incredible, and I've never seen that swallowtail before, either. Amazing! I have seen Gulf fritillaries in Florida -- and white peacocks, too, although the Florida ones look a bit different, I think.

Karl said...

These are real beauties !

Christine said...

Definitely nothing common about these gorgeous butterflies! The swallowtail is my favourite though!

RedPat said...

I wonder fi they all get along! ;-))

Lowell said...

We have most of these here. I think. Or maybe I think that because I saw them at a Butterfly Garden in Gainesville. Your shots are wonderful and I think you made the butterflies' mothers proud!

William Kendall said...

They're very pretty.

Lois said...

They are all so lovely that it's hard to pick a favorite!

Catalyst said...

Have you been to Butterfly Wonderland up by Talking Rock? I was wearing a Hawaiian shirt when we were there and the butterflies loved it, lighting on me for extended stays.

RedPat said...

I just came back to tell you that I saw a Monarch fluttering by heading south about 1 hour ago. It is only 8˚C ( ~46˚F) here so he better get a move on!

Judy Ryer said...

What fun!

Bill said...

All of those butterflies are gorgeous. They have wonderful colours and are all unique. Super photos Sharon.

Silver in AZ said...

Oh my gosh! Just gorgeous!