Friday, June 26, 2015

Art Challenge Club, Part 2


As I stated in yesterday's post, the second art challenge that we had to present was "Sunset".  For this one I got a little creative.  The photo above is my finished 'sunset' piece but, let me tell you how I got there.

A couple of weeks ago, I attended a brunch at my friends Julie & Dave's house (most of you know them).  Many of the guests had not yet been to the new house so Julie took them on a tour and I tagged along and snapped a few photos as I went.  When we were standing in the studio room where Julie and Dave work on their own art pieces, I was attracted by the wall light fixtures in the room and proceeded to take a photo of one of them  That photo is below.


After downloading the photos, I was struck by how this resembled a sunset in a sort of abstract way.  I played around with the photo but I didn't care for any of the results because I thought there should be more light and less fixture.  So when I went back to Julie's the next night, I took another photo, the one below.


Using this photo I added brush strokes and two other effects and then I cropped the photo to emphasize the shades of light.  The photo at the top is the result.  I quite like it.  I think I like it enough to frame it and hang it on my wall.

Our next challenge will be "guilty pleasure".  Hmmm....I wonder what I can come up with for that one.

22 comments:

Kathy said...

I think it is really cool and would make a great wall hanging, maybe done very large on a stretched canvas. I'm not so creative so maybe I'll commission you to do a piece for my new house in Phoenix - if I ever get there! I'm hoping it happens by fall/winter.

PerthDailyPhoto said...

Whoever said you can't create art from photography (and believe me I know a few artists who feel this way, much to my annoyance) should have a look at this Sharon. Very unique and original take on your club theme of sunsets.

Lowell said...

This is superb. Yes, hang it anywhere. Find a gallery and hang it. It looks to me a little like a huge spaceship about to land on earth! Great job, Sharon!

Birdman said...

NEVER would have guessed your subject. Certainly creative,

Kate said...

Your eye and creative eye work together to produce uniques and arresting photos. Be proud, Sharon!! You accomplished a wonderful piece.

Karl said...

Yes, Sharon, frame it and hang it on your wall, it's great !

Judy said...

It looks like a sunset on a strange and distant planet. You did good.

LOLfromPasa said...

You are one talented lady! Wonderful creative work.

Anonymous said...

Great job... I can sense a chocolate image coming up next?!

RedPat said...

So creative, Sharon! Do you have them printed commercially or do it your self?

Sharon said...

RedPat, I printed the three black and whites myself because they were small (5 X 7). The sunset photo I had commercially printed and mounted.

cieldequimper said...

Oh wow!!! I'm gobsmacked! That's fantastic, I would never have imagined!

William Kendall said...

Who'd have thought? Beautifully done!

Catalyst said...

I love the two photographs you took, not so much the doctored one. Sorry.

Lois said...

I would frame it too Sharon! Thanks for explaining how you got there.

Jack said...

You are coming so creative, Sharon. All I do is take pictures of strangers.

Bob Crowe said...

Thinking outside the box, as they say. I edit all my photos but I never take such liberties. Good for you.

Randy said...

Very cool!

Aimeecakes said...

Very creative - I love seeing the though process you used to create this beautiful artwork.

Halcyon said...

You are super creative! I love the end result.
I think your guilty pleasure should have something to do with wine... or chocolate!

Unknown said...

Fantastic, Sharon! Well done.

Thérèse said...

You did a terrific job and at the same time you will have a beautiful souvenir of the detail you were able to capture at your friends' home.