Monday, January 4, 2010

Being Rebellious

When I was taking yesterday's photo of Santa flying between two high-rise buildings, I was approached by a security guard who told me that taking photos was not allowed on the property.
The office complex is called City Square and is composed of three high-rise buildings and a hotel. I told the guard that I was not a commercial photographer and only wanted pictures of the holiday decor. I was told it made no difference, the owners did not allow any photos to be taken of their property. Thankfully, she didn't seem to know that I had already taken several shots from a variety of locations.
I tend to be a bit rebellious when it comes to silly rules that make no sense at all. After all, the property is composed of high-rise buildings. I could stand a block a way and get much more obtrusive photos than I was taking that night. So, that is exactly what I did yesterday. I drove a block away and took this photo of the two buildings in yesterday's photo only from a different direction. So, I've managed to take a photo of the forbidden. I feel so much better now.

12 comments:

Dave-CostaRicaDailyPhoto.com said...

I agree that is a silly rule, especially regarding outdoor matters i plain view of an office complex that has a public, city street running through the middle of it.

I guess next year, in addition to Santa and his sleigh being hung up in lights etween the two office buildings, perhaps whey wil also string up a lighted sign that says "Ho, Ho, Ho. Merry Christmas. No photos allowed,"

brattcat said...

Some of these new rules and regulations...aye yie yie. The world seems kookie sometimes, doesn't it?

Julie ScottsdaleDailyPhoto.com said...

bizarre rules. i have had security guards tell me the same thing and it makes no sense. Great image and I am really glad you captured yesterday's image also. the reindeer and Santa cried out to be photographed.

Mike said...

Good for you! Rebellion and a nice shot all in one.

Catalyst said...

Yes, good for you Sharon. Perhaps you should have snapped a photo of the "security guard" also! Silly rules made up by silly people.

Chris said...

Give a little power to little people and... What really ticks me off is the people who enforce these BS rules. They BELIEVE in what they are doing.

Judy said...

You go girl!

Anonymous said...

This seems like silly paranoia on the part of the property management and its security contractor. I'm glad you stuck to your guns and took the photo from another site on public property.

Anonymous said...

Lord, I could say so much about this. There seems to be a war on photography.

I mean, it's not as if they don't want people to know about their big secret building.

boingBoing has posted a lot about this; here's a recent item:

http://www.boingboing.net/2009/12/06/photographers-win-br.html

Here's a downloadable Photographer's Bill of Rights that you might want to tuck in your back pocket:

http://www.krages.com/phoright.htm

You thought you were just taking awesome photos, but here you are on the edge of a First Amendment controversy.

Fight the power, sister!:)

Kathy said...

Good grief!

Kathleen said...

roflol! gadfry =p

Magpie said...

I'm so glad you got your rebellion on!! How silly can some people be?
Love your photos - I'm a definite fan.