I took this photo when I visited the garden on the unusually pleasant day last month. I've seen cacti that look like this one many times and I've never been able to identify them. This time there was a sign.
I cropped the photo to get a better look at this very unusual looking cactus. The sign says it's a crested whortleberry cactus. The word "crested" indicates a cactus that grows with fan-like shape. It is said to be caused by a rare growth mutation.
I love it's rumply-bumply look.

.jpeg)
5 comments:
It is really very pretty in a desert sort of way.
It looks wonderful, Sharon.
That is super weird-looking. Does it exist in nature like that, or is this a genetically modified hybrid? I wonder.
My understanding is that this is a natural phenomenon. There is giant crested saguaro at the garden that I've posted before but it didn't know that the 'crested' thing happened to other cacti.
Very nice indeed. I wonder if the tree will be in the way when it grows taller.
Post a Comment