Monday, March 3, 2014

Indian Fair & Market


One of the other major events this past weekend was the 56th Annual Heard Museum Guild's Indian Fair & Market.  I went on Sunday and was pleased that the rains had passed over night and it was a beautiful Arizona winter day.  One of the things I love about this event is meeting and talking to the vast array of artists.  Above is Susan Hudson of "Traditional Woman Quilts".  She posed for my photo in front of her prize-winning quilt that was telling a history of reservation life.  The bottom row represents the period where children were taken away from the reservation to attend special schools designed to integrate them into a white society.  The wheels of the carts are handcuffs to emphasize the fact that they were taken away against their will.  The second row represents how they looked when they entered the schools in their traditional Native American clothing.  The top row represents how they looked after leaving the school after they were given new clothing to make them fit in 'our' society.

Fortunately, this experiment in integration didn't work very well, and we are still blessed to be able to view and experience the beautiful traditions, food, artwork, and clothing they generously share with us.

Susan said she wouldn't be able to see my post because there is no internet where she lives.  She doesn't have a web site for the same reason.

Rowan D. Harrison was composing some music when I stopped at his booth.  He is a multi-talented artist who creates pottery with very intricate designs, pen and ink designs, drawings, photographs, and it looks like music might be next on his list.

I'll introduce you to two more artists tomorrow.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

They are both very talented!

Kate said...

I adore the Indian Market in Santa Fe in August and wonder if this is as large? The story-quilt you photographed also reminds me of some of the work done by the Hmong in Minnesota that depict their history in Laos and Vietnam. So happy that these cultures and their talented work are displayed and honored in many parts of our country.

RedPat said...

I hope the artists had a successful show, Sharon. Their work looks wonderful!

William Kendall said...

It looks like they do exquisite work.

cieldequimper said...

Oh boy, I am so envious of you! The quilt is amazing.

Randy said...

There were several of our artists there. I kept seeing their post on Facebook from the market.

Jack said...

I like that quilt. I assume that these are for sale, not just an exhibition?

Judy said...

I would be surprised if you were kept away by a little rain. Love these shots.