Sunday, November 18, 2012

Microdwellings


I went to an event yesterday at the Shemer Art Gallery called "MicroDwellings and MicroBrews". The event featured several living and studio spaces that were small, affordable, and completely portable.  All of them were made from mostly recycled materials.  The one above was the largest of those shown and had a whole side made of glass which gave it the feeling of much more space than it really had.

The one below had glass on one end so that it could open up to it's surroundings on just the one end.  I kept thinking they might be small but, I know people who live in spaces this small in New York City and they pay a whole lot more than these cost and most of those people have to climb a lot of stairs to get to them.


The microbrews part of this event was fulfilled with a beer garden featuring the beers of several local microbreweries.  Not being much of a beer drinker, I only tried one.

15 comments:

Dave-CostaRicaDailyPhoto.com said...

That might work for single people or a couple, but I think the addition of small children in such a confined space would drive the adults nuts.

Lowell said...

I've seen pictures of these types of houses before...but yours give a much better view of what they're really like. To small for me, but I'm sure that there are many people for whom these would be perfect. You do get to some interesting places out there in Arizona!

Anonymous said...

There have been television programs about such structures with many examples and some were tiny but contained the essentials. And the story was that the builders had waiting lists and work to do well into the future. I guess people do want them, especially as secondary housing, but some buy them and use them as a small footprint in larger cities. I guess if they meet the local zoning codes and city ordinances, they are perfect for some people.

Judy said...

Sounds interesting. I bet the brews drew a crowd.

Randy said...

These are great and just want I am in the market for. I have some land that I would love to pop one of these on. Wish I could have been there.

Unknown said...

The top one looks just great!

Pat said...

Thanks for sharing. I think I'll go see it soon. They small dwellings reminds me off the college students that came up with the ideal to ship emergency relief aid to 3rd world countries, then the containers would be transformed into medical offices instead of being shipped back empty.

Thérèse said...

How interesting!

Anonymous said...

Affordable housing is certainly the way forward!

RedPat said...

I really like the 2nd one - I love corrugated metal. These would make a perfect country get-away space or a super studio!

Jack said...

I can almost see this kind of thing for a studio, but not for a residence. No, not at all.

Mary Helen-Art Saves Lives said...

I think you are on to something very useful...no one needs to be without a roof over their head. Happy Thanksgiving! Peace, Mary Helen Fernandez Stewart

Kathy said...

There's a lot to be said for "living small."

PerthDailyPhoto said...

These micro dwellings would be perfect if you had a piece of land somewhere in the country or by the sea, as a Holiday home don't you think Sharon.

Kate said...

In some countries these buildings would be wonderful homes for people. I would love to see an area in South Africa filled with these structures rather than the inadequate shacks that cover the landscape in some places.