Wednesday, June 21, 2017

Shadow Play


I've been meaning to get a photo of this functional art piece near downtown Phoenix for a while now and I got a chance to take some shots from my car not long ago when I was stopped for a traffic light.  It's situated on a traffic island that divides the street so it's not easy to get to.  It's called Shadow Play and it's the work of artist Meejin Yoon.


The artist calls these cloud-like structures that create shade at the hottest time of the day.  Given that we are experiencing some excessive heat warnings this week, shade is a good thing.  The "clouds" are coated with a heat resistant paint and also allows the easy removal of graffiti.  That sounds very smart to me.

11 comments:

Thérèse said...

Clerver, I like that, plus the look is very pleasant.

Halcyon said...

I can see these being very popular in Phoenix!

Karl said...

At first I thought these are artificial palm trees.

PerthDailyPhoto said...

Absolutely Sharon, shade is a necessity in those intensely hot periods, even better if it's artistic shade clouds 😊

RedPat said...

I really like the look of them! Stay cool, Sharon!

Steve Reed said...

Interesting work! We could all do with some shade right about now.

William Kendall said...

I do like them!

Judy Ryer said...

Shade is a must when it's 120. Looks nice too.

Lowell said...

I like this a lot. Looks like a group of dancers and has a light, fanciful feel. Hope that you are beating the heat alright. I cannot remember that it got to 120 degrees in the city of Phoenix. That's scary! Please stay in your air-conditioned car when taking photos!

Bill said...

I like them. You can use all the shade you can find right about now. I saw the temps and it's insane. Stay cool!

Bob Crowe said...

At the moment I'm sure you will take all the shade you can get. I can't imagine...