Tuesday, March 28, 2017

Gunmetal Finish Jars


At the beginning of the month, I mentioned that I had gone to the Heard Museum to find my "Black and White in Color" shot for the first of March.  I actually went to the museum to see the new gallery that had recently opened.  I saw some of the most beautiful things there and I promised I'd show you some of them.  I'm going to start today with these wonderful black pots (or jars as the artist calls them) with their gunmetal finish.  They are the creation of Maria Martinez of the San Ildefonso Pueblo in New Mexico.

While I was taking these two photos, one of the docents in the room came over and asked if I was trying to duplicate the cover photo of the Heard Museum magazine.  I actually hadn't remembered seeing the cover photo.





So, I went home and located my magazine and sure enough, these beautiful 'jars' were featured on the cover but I think the photographer who took this shot had the advantage of taking it without the glass case around them.

I'll show you some more treasures tomorrow.

10 comments:

Christine said...

You first photo is excellent Sharon even with the glass around the jars! A wonderful display!

Steve Reed said...

The glass is kind of interesting though -- you get the reflections! They're nice jars.

Kate said...

Her work is SO very lovely! I would love to own just one little pot of hers. I often wonder why her name is usually, always I think, without the accent mark?! You are right about the implied difficulty of taking photos in museums because of the casing and lights.

Lowell said...

These are gorgeous, although it's a little sad to see you've gone to pot! Ha ha ha ha ha!

Judy said...

Very pretty!

William Kendall said...

They're so photogenic!

PerthDailyPhoto said...

You got a super shot despite the glass Sharon, they really are tres photogenic ☺

RedPat said...

I went to a workshop/demonstration with Maria Martinez back in the 70s. She was very old but still working away - it was fabulous!

Thérèse said...

Such an attractive display.

Jack said...

Fascinating to see those modern jars. There was a Maria Martinez from that same pueblo in the last century who was one of the most famous potters of traditional Native American pottery. Her work was usually also black. This is probably a descendant.