Tuesday, May 22, 2018

The Fountain is Closed



I've always enjoyed seeing this fountain in the Scottsdale Civic Center Park but the last few times I'd been there, the fountain was turned off.  I wondered why.



This last weekend, I finally learned why such a pretty fountain had been turned off.  I hadn't realized that the fountain sits over the top of an underpass for a road and the fountain had started to leak, causing damage to the structure below.  The city is working on plans to renovate the whole park but, because work will not begin for about a year, this art piece has been added to make the dry fountain more interesting.  The piece is called Sun Lanterns by Eli Richard.  Apparently they contain solar cells and at twilight they light up and stay lit all night.  My next goal is to get there in the evening sometime soon so I can see them lit up.

11 comments:

biebkriebels said...

Yes, a fountain above an underpass is not such a good idea... But they tried to make the best of it with art now.

Kate said...

Your curiosity was satisfied after some careful sleuthing. . .good job! The art work should satisfy during the rehab of the fountain.

RedPat said...

How nice that they didn't just leave the area empty!

PerthDailyPhoto said...

Probably a better idea 😀 I like the colourful replacement art works Sharon ✨

Lowell said...

Those lanterns are quite beautiful in their own right! Can't imagine why anyone would build a water fountain on top of an overpass. Hopefully, you can get there in the evening to see those lanterns lit up.

Steve Reed said...

Too bad about the fountain, but I love those lanterns! I can't wait to see what they look like after dark.

William Kendall said...

Hopefully when the repair is done it'll go smoothly.

Catarina said...

That was a good alternative.

Bill said...

I like these colourful lanterns. Maybe after the leak is fixed people will decide that these lanterns are a better alternative and will want them to stay. It's great that they decided to install these rather than having nothing there. Looking forward to some night shots in the future. :)

Jack said...

Aw, I like the fountains better, but I bow to necessity.

Billy Blue Eyes said...

Cool a nice replacement