Saturday, September 23, 2017

In the Market for Some Western Wear?




Here are a couple of businesses in Old Town Scottsdale that have been around for a very long time.  They both specialize in Western wear.  This location for Porter's was once the very first post office in Scottsdale.  It's said that people would gather here and wait for the mail to arrive.  That was back in 1929.

Now Porter's is known as the "Boot Corral".  They sell lots of shoes but have a huge selection of boots.
















Just down the street from Porter's is Saba's Western Wear.  It's been in business for 90 years.  They opened their first store in 1927, back when many of their customers rode up on horseback.  When I first moved to Arizona, there were several occasions that required one to wear western style clothes so I went to Saba's to find the right things.  That was a very long time ago and although I haven't seen many people dressed up in western clothes these days, they still seem to be going strong.


10 comments:

Christine said...

Good to hear of these traditional stores still going strong in today's economy!
The horse on top of Porters is a real pull!

RedPat said...

I'd love a nice pair of cowboy boots! It must be too hot out there to wear them, Sharon!

Lowell said...

Both of these names are familiar to me and I know I bought two pair of cowboy boots when we lived in the area, but I didn't wear them often as they weren't very comfortable. I probably wasn't fitted properly or maybe my legs didn't bow out enough from riding horses? You think? Maybe? Hope you're having a fun weekend!

William Kendall said...

I like the look of the place! I wouldn't mind a pair of boots, or one of those duster trenchcoats.

Bill said...

Porter's has that wild west look you see in old cowboy movies. It's a classic building and looks mighty fine.

Lois said...

I wouldn't mind looking around in those stores. I just love the history behind the one in the first photo.

Bob Crowe said...

Not more than west St. Louis County. Well, I was born on the west side of Manhattan but I'd feel pretty fake dressed in western wear.

Sandi said...

Yeehaw. ;)

Steve Reed said...

There's a Western Wear shop in Tampa that has a horse on the roof. I've always meant to photograph it but haven't done so yet. You've motivated me to hit it the next time I'm there!

PerthDailyPhoto said...

There has to be as big call for Western wear For them to have remained in business for that length of time Sharon, good on them!