Thursday, August 11, 2016

The Matchbook Project


Earlier this year, I got an email from a locally owned wine bar/cafe where I occasionally meet friends asking if I had any matchbooks I could donate that would become part of the decor at their new place in Scottsdale.  They were offering coupons for a certain number of matchbooks.  At the time, I wondered how on earth matchbooks would figure into the decor at the new place.


Last Sunday I met some friends for a movie and after the movie we decided to try out the new Postino's Wine Bar Cafe located in Scottsdale near Scottsdale Fashion Square.  I finally figured out how they used all those matchbooks they collected.  They covered one whole long wall with them.


Postino's started in Phoenix way back in 2001 when a group of friends started a wine bar in an east Phoenix neighborhood in a building that was once a post office.  That's how the name came about.  Their idea was to not tear down and old building but to make something out of it that would enhance the community around it and they've been doing that ever since.  There are now seven locations of Postino's and a few more restaurants have also been developed in the process.  They all have been set up in older buildings that have now been brought back to life and have become extremely popular destinations. Sounds like their idea has turned into a huge success.  This little "Weird is Rad" space at the new restaurant looks like the perfect place to celebrate something special with a big group of friends, don't you think?

11 comments:

Stefan Jansson said...

That is a funky wall.

Christine said...

That's a cool idea and the place is great!

Karl said...

Cool idea and the "Weird is Rad" space looks great !

Judy said...

I seem to recall you had a lot of matchbooks from all over the world.

Lowell said...

I used to collect match books but somehow they've disappeared. It's an interesting idea to make a wall of them. I imagine you spent some time looking over the various match books. Looks like a great place to meet friends, have a drink or two, and swap match books. Just kidding about the last part. :)

RedPat said...

That couch looks very 70s! I think a bunch of us bloggers could easily fit around it!

William Kendall said...

Unusual, but visually cool!

Jack said...

It looks like a fun place. I would be a bit nervous sitting near a solid wall of matches. Just the slightest error and . . . WHOOSH!

Steve Reed said...

So did you donate any of yours? I think I would have traded in my whole collection for coupons!

Kate said...

Postinos deserve an article about their activities. I like the wall of matches but the curved orange lounge is really retro.

Kate said...

Right now on Sunday 8/14 at 8:20 CDT I am watching a section on Sunday Morning devoted to a collector's extraordinary matchbook collection so I thought of you and this post. Some of the matchbooks are works of art!!