Friday, August 26, 2016

Contemporary Art


The last time I was at the Scottsdale Museum of Contemporary Art, one of the docents asked me if I had ever seen the sculpture on the patio of the museum.  He said it is an interesting piece, so I followed the path outside and around a corner and came to a round room with a huge opening in the center of the ceiling.  It turns out, this was the sculpture.


Looking down, there is a ridge around the walls that forms a sort of bench and of course, the sun shining through that opening created a huge sun spot in the room.

The sculptor is James Turrell and the piece is called Knight Rise.  Its made of Venetian plaster, concrete, steel and neon.  At night, the neon lights upward from that ridge just above the sun spot in the photo above. If you would like to see what it looks like at different times of day, click this link.  You will see a short slide show of photos taken and different times.  I love it!  I'll be checking it out every time I go to the museum to see how it looks at different times.

8 comments:

Christine said...

At first I thought it was just a hole but actually it is very clever. your second photo allows the imagination to kick in.

Kate said...

I think I'd have to see it to really appreciate it. Quite novel.

Lowell said...

Kate took the words right out of my computer!

Judy said...

That's a unique idea. Good for sunny places like Scottsdale.

William Kendall said...

That's a very creative concept!

RedPat said...

I love how the colors change so much at different times of the day as shown in your link! Quite nice, Sharon!

Catalyst said...

Interesting.

Steve Reed said...

It reminds me of the Pantheon in Rome, which has an "oculus" in the center of the roof allowing a spot of sunshine to traverse the building's floor during the day. The Pantheon doesn't have neon, though. :)