Saturday, October 17, 2015

The Artist's Meal


It's the annual Arts and Flowers event at the Phoenix Art Museum this weekend so I visited yesterday at the very start of the show to catch the flowers nice and fresh.  And, I may go back again tomorrow because they didn't yet have all the signs out identifying the people who arranged the flowers.  However, I will show you this one that I really liked.  The art work is an installation called "La Comida del artista" or The Artist's Meal.  I've seen this piece many times before.  The artist is Victor Grippo who was a pioneer of conceptual art in Argentina in the 1970's.  The doorway represents a threshold into another world and each plate of food symbolizes change.  The floral arrangement is sitting in the background to the left.


Here is a closer view of the arrangement.  It's like a tiny room with a floor made of white flowers and curtains held back with orchids.


There is something about imagining a room completely covered in flowers that really appeals to me.  Wouldn't it be fun to sit down at that table and soak in the wonderful floral fragrance?

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wonderfully delicate and detailed!

Thérèse said...

Already a year since last show! I am not sure about eating in such a room because of the aroma but the idea is unique.

Unknown said...

So creative!

PerthDailyPhoto said...

Always look forward to the arts and flowers event Sharon, what a very lovely start here.

Birdman said...

Kinda weird for my tastes. Is there a Big Mac on that plate?????

Kathy said...

My thoughts are along the same line as Birdman's. What meal is served amidst all those flowers? I'm having problems coming up with a menu!

VP said...

Funny, if it is a joke...

William Kendall said...

Very peculiar, Sharon!

Lowell said...

It's a little strange, but hey, to each his own. I'm old-fashioned enough to prefer more "traditional" art - whatever that means. :)

RedPat said...

I love it, Sharon! I always look forward to seeing your pics from this event! ;-)

cieldequimper said...

Oh my goodness, how wonderful!

Steve Reed said...

That IS an interesting idea!

Jack said...

Most unusual. I like these events.

Karl said...

Interesting installation and details !