Monday, July 6, 2015

Not quite as planned.....


My holiday plans didn't quite work as I expected on Saturday.  Around 2:00PM, the electricity went out at my place and as I waited for it to come back on I grew more and more worried about my dinner plans.  How was going to shower in the dark?  How was I going to dry my hair after I showered?  How hot was it going to get inside before they get it turned back on?  As it turns out, I can be pretty resourceful when I have to.  A flashlight lit the shower but the hair drying proved a bigger challenge.  Finally, I offered to pick up my friend if I could blow my hair dry at his house.  So, all was well, dinner was great, fireworks were great and then I drove home.  Yikes, the power was still out and by this time, all the emergency lighting had used up the battery supply.  It was very dark.  Using the light of my cell phone, I made it inside my door only to realize it was way to warm to stay there.

Thank goodness for great friends like Julie and Dave.  I gave them a call and then headed over to their house to spend the night.

So, that is me above on Sunday morning, enjoying breakfast on a little retreat up the mountainside behind Julie and Dave's house.  I was enjoying the view and a delicious breakfast with friends on an overcast morning that kept the outdoor temperature comfortable.  A perfect way to greet the day.


When I got home, the work has been done and the electricity was back on.  The electric company had to dig a huge hole in the parking lot to find the problem but they did find it and fixed it.  The house is cool, no loss of food in the freezer, all is well with the world again.

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

At least everything turned out okay in the end, it's not good when the electricity fails!

Mersad said...

Thankfully the power came back on. Relaxing shot though.

Mersad
Mersad Donko Photography

LOLfromPasa said...

You are a resourceful gal with super friends. Aren't happy endings wonderful. Hooray! Ps lovely photo makes the whole story complete.

Birdman said...

"Keep smiling, keep shining
Knowing you can always count on me, for sure
That's what friends are for
For good times and bad times
I'll be on your side forever more
That's what friends are for."

Lowell said...

An interesting tale and I'm glad that you were able to meet the challenges of an existence without electricity ... I hate when that happens mostly because of all the electronic gear which often gets screwed up and won't work properly when the power does finally come back on.

Nice to have good friends who will take you in. And what a place to enjoy a Sunday morning!

PerthDailyPhoto said...

On my! You certainly made the best of a bad situation Sharon.. thank heavens for good friends oui! I remember last year in the very height of summer a young lad sped down our street, lost control and hit one of the power poles putting the electricity out in the whole street, thankfully he was OK and sped off, but if we all had got our hands on him it might have been a different story :) :)

Judy said...

No AC would not be good! Glad you were able to spend the night in a cool place.

Kathy said...

That's a long power outage for a city as large as Phoenix. We sometimes lose power here for hours at a time and being uncomfortable is the worst part of it!

Randy said...

Nothing like a power outage in the middle of summer in Phoenix.

RedPat said...

We seem to have had power outages here that got me concerned about my posts so I now post a couple of days in advance as a precaution. Not that I'm obsessive about the blog or anything! ;-))
You ended up having a nice time, Sharon!

glenda said...

You look very comfortable with this view. So glad all you food was O.K.

Karl said...

Nice place to relax, even without electricity at home...
I'm sure I've already seen these red sandals somewhere.

Catalyst said...

Thank goodness you had your toenails painted!

cieldequimper said...

Loooooove your sandals Sharon!!!

Glad everything went well. Here I wish the sun would go on strike for a couple of days for my home to cool down. Temp not too far from 100° in my bedroom...

William Kendall said...

Fortunately the power returned!

Jack said...

Such a fine photo!

Sorry about your troubles with the loss of electricity, Sharon, but you were resourceful in solving the problems.

Halcyon said...

Glad that everything turned out ok in the end. It's nice to have good friends. :)

Thérèse said...

Just enough time to savor the benefits of friendship and the view!

Steve Reed said...

Well, thank goodness they got it fixed, and thank goodness you could turn what might have been an unpleasant situation into a mini-vacation. :)

VP said...

Glad your friends were there at the right moment... By the way, this photo is great!