Friday, November 27, 2009

Cactus Wren

While I was enjoying the new sculptures at the Desert Botanical Garden, this little cactus wren landed on a plant just a few inches from me. He obligingly sat there while a snapped a few pictures. Wasn't that nice of him?

The cactus wren is the state bird of Arizona and it makes its nest in cactus so the Desert Botanical Garden is an ideal spot for it to make its home. Sometimes they nest in holes in the large saguaros and other times in the crook of the arms of saguaros, chollas or even yuccas. They eat mostly insects and they tend to forage on the ground under cactus and other plants. The cactus wren is a bit bolder than some birds which explains why this one seemed perfectly content sitting so close to me while I pointed a camera in its direction.

5 comments:

Kate said...

Sometimes the most non-discript birds make the best photos. This wren must have enjoyed you, too! Good information; thank you for that.

Dave-CostaRicaDailyPhoto.com said...

I have seen cactus wrens many times on saguaros from a distance, but I have never been this close to a cactus wren. Great photo to take advantage of a rare opportunity.

Judy said...

Great capture!

Unknown said...

Thank you for introducing me to this lovely bird. Wonderful capture, Sharon!

Julie ScottsdaleDailyPhoto.com said...

great capture!