Sunday, March 1, 2009

Theme Day: Glass

I have featured events and art from the Heard Museum many times before but, I thought today would be the perfect time to show you this masterpiece located on the inside of the museum. The piece is called “Indigenous Evolution” and it was commissioned by the museum and created by two artists, Tony Jojola and Rosemary Lonewolf. It is a 30 foot glass and clay fence inspired by the organic fences made by Native people out of natural elements like adobe, ocotillo and saguaro. The two artists had never worked together before creating this piece for the museum. Each created their pieces separately, Lonewolf making the clay pieces and Jojola making the glass pieces. They continue to collaborate on these beautiful fence posts.
I think this is a stunning piece and I always take time to look at it every time I go to the museum.

13 comments:

Jilly said...

How incredible! This must be simply stunning to see in reality and fabulous in your photographs. Such a different subject for today. Perfect.

cieldequimper said...

Wow, beautiful! I love it (but then you may have noticed I love Native stuff ;-))

Unknown said...

This is suck an amazing piece! I had to enlarge the pics to see some details. Just great!

Anonymous said...

This is so unusual and interesting. I love it!

Dave-CostaRicaDailyPhoto.com said...

This is a great choice for the glass theme day. I have enjoyed this art in the Heard Museum. It is near the entrance to one of the buildings and it is a stunning way to take the visitor from the entrance way into the heart of the exhibitions.

Why have a wall along a corridor when you can have a glass and clay fence?

GreensboroDailyPhoto said...

Thanks for sharing Sharon! when in Phoenix, we'll for sure visit this museum. Often I am on your heels when visiting Moscow Daily Photo. Nice to actually "see you" on your blog!

Jan

Judy said...

Your're right, this is stunning. Worth the visit just to see this piece.

glenda said...

Nice choice for theme day. I loved this piece and spent a lot of time looking at the various parts of this fence.

Julie ScottsdaleDailyPhoto.com said...

I love these glass items at the Heard Museum. And the wood is made from different plant items. Great choice for theme day

Lisa Wilson said...

How interesting! Great choice for theme day.

Randy said...

I love this piece. I also love the new design of the museum. I just might have to pay it a visit when we come back in April.

Kate said...

This is most unusual; it reminds me of coyote fences in New Mexico. It must be quite an event to see and stroll by the installation.

abc said...

It's a wonderful piece of art and certainly something you can enjoy many times.